Friday, June 5, 2009

Menu Planning & New Recipes

I Love Cooking! If you know me at all you probably know this. I love trying new recipes and experimenting with old favorites. I use to jokingly say that cooking was my therapy. There is probably a lot of truth in that statement. Cooking help me to feel creative and productive. I relax and process the days experiences while cooking. I have been cooking since I was around 8 yrs old (that is cooking solo) at 2yrs of age my mother was very sick, so Dad would sit me on the edge of the counter and we'd fix dinner together.

Last month I was reading about ways to save money and cut expenses. One suggestion was grocery shop once a month, WHAT! okay they say you can start out by shopping just once a week until your ready to take that bigger step. That is somewhat better. I have always been one to make short quick trips 3-4 times a week. This book suggested planning monthly or weekly menus and shopping list from those menus. I was concerned that this would greatly stifle my creative juices. I did not want to be stuck in a rut, bored and end up saving money but disliking cooking.

Suprise I'm really enjoying it. I think I spend less time in the kitchen which is a good think this time of year with yard and garden work that needs to be done. I'm trying all of those recipes that I thought sounded good but never go around to trying. I think David is enjoying this aswell. He often ask, "Oh, are we having _______ tonight!?"

Here are some of my menus that I have whipped up over the last few weeks.

BBQ Pork Sandwiches w/ Green beans
Swiss Steak, Mashed potatoes & Chili cheese corn
Spagehetti & Salad
Homemade Pizza
Baked Potatoes w/ Broccoli & Cheese
Baked Salmon w/ Asparagus
Steak & onions w/ potatoes & Salad
Steak (leftover & sliced) Quesidillas
Taco Salad
Chicken Dijon W/ sugar snap peas
Roast w/ homemade egg noodles & Green beans
Tuna burgers
Korean BBQ brown rice & Stir fry veggies
Sausage, Kale & Cheddar bread pudding
Ham & Beans
Homemade Mac & Cheese

Every Wednesday night is our Mustgo night - everything in the fridge must go. Also know as leftover night. I have never figured out how to cook small amounts. I grew up in a family of 5 but we almost always had extended family or friends joining us. So I cook as thought there are at least 4 of us instead of just the two. This gives David plenty of leftovers for his second breakfast, 11:00'es, lunch, 1:00'es & 2:00'es, right before bed fridge raids. How does he eat all the time and not gain an ounce??? That is the subject for another blog!

Looking forward to more fun and creative meals in the future. But for now I must go for a hike or bike ride to burn off some of these calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment