Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Love, Honor & Cherish

I was listening to Dr. Laura on the radio the other day and she was talking to a woman whos husband had an affair. Dr. Laura pointed out that yes the husband had broken the wedding vows but the woman for several year had also broken the wedding vow by not Love, Honoring or Cherishing her husband.

I do not for one fraction of a second fear David having an affair. But it made me stop and think. Yes, I Love and Cherish him with all my heart. But how do I honor him? I asked him if I honored him and how? He mentioned obedience..... Whoa let me stop you before you get upset.....I knew what he meant, he does not demand my obedience of him. David however is the head of our home and leads us with love, "as Christ loves the Church." We discussed this for a while but I still didn't feel I had a good grasp on how to honor my husband even though he assured me that I do. This morning I read a blog where a woman is taking a 30 day challenge to honor her husband each and every day. The one thing I got from the portion that I read was doing something special for him each day. My first thought was yay! I do this ...easy, I'm off the hook! But, I think God had me read on for a reason, I wasn't off the hook. This woman was talking about how she knew her husband loved her even if she had put on some weight but she didn't like herself. (Yikes, thats me.) God really opened my eyes that to honor also involves sacrifice. I don't want to get up early to go exercise. Hmmm does The Bible say that "Obedience is better than sacrifice." Yes, but for me to honor David I'm going to need to sacrifice some of my time, and by doing so I'm being obedient to God and David by taking care of my body. I will do it! I want to be a wife that David is proud of at all times, I want to honor him.

No comments:

Post a Comment