Monday, February 23, 2009

Happy Sick Day

Satuday afternoon there was a knock on our front door. Hesitantly (because I was still in my PJ's) I opened the door and peeked around the corner. "HAPPY SICK DAY!" in a loud cheerful voice. I wasn't the one sick but since David was and was still in bed and it was a Saturday I hadn't gotten dressed yet. The "Happy Sick Day" was beening extended by our pastor and his wife. I was handed a card and a gift bag for David that contained chicken noodle soup, crackers and mint tea. Renee then handed me a small pkg. with little green & red disks that said "Protectors" in three different languages. I was very confused, it didn't help when she said, "trust me you'll need them." (for any of you that have met Renee you'll understand what I'm about to say, I'm always a little nervious when I hear her say trust me.) My thought was are these suppost to keep me from getting sick? About that time Rob stepped around the corner and handed me a truck battery. O Ooookay the protectors were starting to make sense, they were terminal protectors.

Rob & Renee on behalf of our church family brought David a new battery for his Explorer. We have been having to go out and start the truck everyday if we missed a day; such as over a weekend when we would just use my car or the few days that David had been sick the battery would be dead and we'd have to jump it.

Because David was very sick I didn't invite Rob & Renee in to expose them to the sick germs. I thanked them and they were on their way. I took the gift bag w/ soup and card into David, and told him who it was from. Then I drug the battery into the room and heaved it up onto the bed, and said this is from them also. He looked like he was about to cry. "Wow! I can't believe this," he said. "They really are just like family aren't they?" "I remember you telling me how much of a family your church was before I moved out here."

I have to say David really loves his church family at Emmanuel and on Saturday recieved an expression of that love in return. I'm happy to report that by Sunday afternoon David started feeling better. I guess it is true chicken soup, hot tea, and a new battery cures the cold.

1 comment:

  1. This is a cool idea. Thanks for sharing it, and I hope the new battery made all the difference.

    ReplyDelete