Wednesday, October 26, 2011

10 Day Food Storage Challenge

Rules: for 10 days I only buy milk and cream, (since I don't have any powdered or fresh boxed milk or cream nor do we own a cow or goat) Everything else I use to prepare our meals will be from our garden, home canned, already on our pantry shelves or in our freezer.  I will post pictures of our meals, what they contain and evaluate their nutrition and taste.  Hint: I don't think they will be that much different than what we usually do.

Day 1             Oct. 26, 2011
Tonight's dinner is: Meatloaf, Mashed sweet potatoes and green beans ( I don't have the camera right now, I will try and post a picture this evening before we eat.)

Lean ground beef: in our Freezer, I purchased 17 lb (individually wrapped in 1lb packages) a couple weeks ago when it was on sale for $1.99 lb.
Eggs: from our chickens
Oatmeal: last year I purchased a 50 lb bag  I've used about 1/2 of it so far. I think I paid around $15.00 for it.
Onion: from garden
Tomato sauce: Home canned
Yellow French Beans: Home canned
Sweet potatoes: had them in the pantry, pealed, boiled  added 2 Tbsps of butter and 1/4 cup of milk and mashed.


This meal has an excellent source of protein, with the lean ground beef, and two eggs in the meatloaf. There is approximately 1 cup of whole grains with the oatmeal and Sweet potatoes are so much more nutritious that white potatoes. Look at all the veggies, 1 small onion chopped, 1 pint of tomato sauce (remember homegrown tomatoes, canned) 1 pint of Yellow french beans (again garden grown and canned)


Very Healthy and really tastes great!




No comments:

Post a Comment